Saturday 27 October 2012

The Secret Garden-Frances Hodgson Burnett

The Secret Garden by Francis Hodgson Burnett is one of my favourite books because of the beautiful descriptions of the various landscapes that Mary, the main character experiences. Yorkshire is a terrific example because of the description of the brilliant green moors and the vivid wildlife which feeds the readers imagination.

The Secret Garden is about a white Indian girl called Mary who is evacuated to Yorkshire to prevent her catching the deadly disease which killed her parents and all of her loved ones. She has a grumpy soul which prevents her from making friends in the beginning. Mary soon finds out that instead of being her melancholic self she could explore the unknown world surrounding her. The maid encourages her to step outside into the magical gardens where her story really begins...

This story brought fantasy and magic into my mind. A specific moment I enjoyed was when the curious robin, Marys only friend at the time, showed her where to find the key to the secret garden of majestic flowers and vines...

The book was first published in 1911 and it is still as important and as heartwarming as ever, I would encourage people of all ages and sizes to read this book !

Read, be inspired and write!
Malini

2 comments:

  1. That is a really nice review of the book Malini! It got me wanting to read the book. Will share my thoughts on it when I do read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a lovely review.
    I think it will inspire and reassure people to read this heartwarming story that also I enjoy very much! all my friends are sure to read it now and will love it as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete