Wednesday 13 February 2013

Sapphire Battersea; By Jacqueline Wilson




Sapphire Battersea by Jacqueline Wilson is another book that made me weep. It is the story of a girl, named Hetty Feather(but called Sapphire Battersea by her dear mama) who starts her life off in a foundling hospital and then works at the age of 14 leading a life of being a scullery maid. She faces traumatic experiences like being separated from her own mother by "Matron Pig-face Peters" at the foundling hospital. Hetty is sent from the hospital to work for writer, Mr. Buchanan. She wants to write to her mama so she copies up Mr. Buchanan's work then he gives her a share of stamps. She has to be known for her fiery red hair and temper which Mr. Buchanan cannot take. Although many people tease her, she has two special someone’s, Bertie-the butchers boy and Jem-her childhood sweetheart and they both remind her constantly that she is a lovely person. She is sent away from Mr. Buchanan because of her temper then left to take her first steps in life, alone. Hetty buys a train ticket to find her mother by the sea side and meets a family who lead the perfect life. The Greenwood family take her in to their lovely shack which they visit once a year. She sees her mama but all of that changes. Her mama means everything to her but she is violently ill and may not survive for long. If you want to know what happens to Hetty then go on and read it!!!

I rarely ever read Jacqueline Wilson books because I like a challenge. However this book is one of my favourite books that she has written. Although, there is one fault that I find ruined the entire book. The Ending. The ending of this book was the most disappointing thing that I have ever read. I'm not being mean to old Jacqueline but she seriously needs to work on the ending of Sapphire Battersea.

Malini

Read, Be Inspired and Write!


2 comments:

  1. Hey, Sapphire Battersea is a trilogy. You can read it in Emerald Star

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Malini

    Its Eleana writing. You have been an amazing help to me when it comes to English and have always helped me keep up with everyone else. I have never really enjoyed reading in specific, however reading your reviews has knocked some confidence in me as i am beging to read a book for FUN!

    You have inspired me to write my own blog at eleanakumana.blogspot.co.uk and although it is not the same topic as yours i would not of been able to do it without your help!

    from your biggest fan Eleana! x

    ReplyDelete